Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Theater

You know, when someone you deeply care about, or even love, is in pain, you hurt right along with them.

Vanessa, Mistress of the Kitchen Table, went back to the doc yesterday, getting another needle stuck in her spine, to relieve the severe pain that she's in, before her surgery next month. They tried the same procedure last week and fucked her up even more. This time it worked a little bit.

The 3 of us, Vanessa, Jasmine, and myself, night before last, were seated around the infamous table, recounting our experience from the previous night. That would be Saturday. What a time we had!

1st, getting Vanessa, cane, pain, and all to the Steppenwolf was a trip. It actually felt like the gods were against us. The poor thing was in so much pain. She wouldn't say a word because she didn't want to disappoint us. She's something else.

The Redline dropped us off where there was no working escalator. Poor Lady V had to literally climb 4, long tears of steps before we reached the outside. But the whole time, she never shed a tear. The word, "Courage," comes to mind when I think of her!

Secondly, we finally arrived at the Steppenwolf and we headed immediately to the bar. V and J quickly drank glasses of wine, while I chugged scotch/rocks. We barely made it in time.

The play, "Superior Donuts," was sold out and already full. Just about everyone was seated when we made our grand entrance into the theater. I made my way down to the 1st row, with the 2 most elegant women I have ever had the pleasure of lending an arm to. We all were dressed quite smartly!

Jaws dropped, as we passed theater goers, going down, row by row, to the front. With the 3 of us beaming, I still heard whispers, the feeling of being watched was present, and I being undressed by a very cute man that took to the balcony. I have to say, we made a striking trio!

And, by the way, the night before, Lady V was handing out box cutters to Jasmine and myself for protection. J was horrified that she lived in a time where she might have to use it. Well, back at the theater. We make our entrance, heads held high, finally we get to our seats, and J's purse spills to the floor in front of her chair. What should hit the floor 1st you may ask? I'll tell you. It was her damn box cutter. The 3 of us died laughing. Flustered, embarrassed, and now harassed by V and myself, she, red faced, shoves it back into her purse, with the rest of the stuff that hit the floor. Let the show begin...

Later, we had 10:00 reservations at the King Crab, down the street. I flagged down a taxi and off we went. We arrived in time for our reservation and no sooner was our water brought to us, the manager spilled a full glass of it on Jasmine. You should have seen her face. When J gets mad, her lips disappear. They were non-existent when the flood hit, and I don't blame her! The manager bought another round of drinks for us trying to correct the mistake.

We ordered shrimp, catfish, oysters, and crab claws at "market price." No one thought a thing about it. The meal was great, until the busboy started glaring at us. Then he brought out a broom and proceeded to sweep an area close to our table. We asked the waiter, which turned out to be the owners son, what the busboy's problem was? He said he was just in a bad mood, but would say something to him. Bad mood or not, service is service. And when it's bad, it's *&^$*#%*%*@!

He came over to our table a couple of times and just stared at us. Not saying a word, just staring! 'Nearly took my plate, which I hadn't finished yet. I thought I was going to have to "fork" him. All the while Jasmine is seething. Then the bill came and we found out what "market prices" were on the crab. $55! Jasmine almost fainted. She was so cool though. I've never been more proud of her. Not only are we being rudely stared at, we were being charged $55 for crabs?

Jasmine took out her card and settle it up anyway. Then a thought came to me, while she still had the check. She told us, before dinner, that this restaurant gave a 20% discount if you had Steppenwolf ticket stubs. When I flashed the stubs, all was better. Almost...

Upon our departure, Jasmine gave the busboy the "finger," as we made our way out. Not the middle one, which in my mind would have been appropriate anyway, she gave him her index finger. Shaking it in his face, she exclaimed, 'You are the worst person I have ever had to deal with in a restaurant before!' We later laughed about it, while we rested on a nearby wall. Moaning and groaning from over eating, that was our dessert. Lady Fingers! There was no "market price" on that. It was truly priceless!

Moments later, "smiley" came outside, still glaring. He sat on the steps of the restaurant, with his head in his hands, as if ostracized by his fellow employees.

I flagged another cab down, damn I love doing that, and homeward bound we were. And, we were still laughing. We laughed even after we got home. Sadly, we hugged on the 1st floor, and the the 3 of us went our separate ways! Of course I laughed loudly into my pillow. I'm not going to see my girls until the next afternoon, wondering what we were going to get into then...

No comments: